Scarborough Kiwanis Club 31st Annual Kid’s Fishing Derby May 6th
I learned about the Scarborough Kiwanis Kid's Fishing Derby when I was a guest speaker. I didn't know much about the Kiwanis and now, I am a fan!
I think I was like a lot of people. Of course I had heard of the Kiwanis...but when push came to shove, I really couldn't tell you who they were or what they do. (They are Key Clubs in school)
They are really cool! Here are the objects of Kiwanis (an organization that's been around since 1915).
- To give primacy to the human and spiritual rather than to the material values of life
- To encourage the daily living of the Golden Rule in all human relationships
- To promote the adoption and application of higher social, business and professional standards
- To develop, but precept and example, a more intelligent, aggressive and serviceable citizenship
- To provide, through Kiwanis clubs, a practical means to form enduring friendships, to render altruistic service, and to build better communities
- To cooperate in creating and maintaining that sound public opinion and high idealism which make possible the increase of righteousness, justice, patriotism and goodwill
We started the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance, saying the objects of Kiwanis and a prayer.
Then I spoke. Since their organization tries to help kids in anyway possible, I talked about the foundations I've gotten involved in that also helps kids. Then we ate lunch.
Troy, who invited me (and is pictured on the far left of the picture above), told me about their Kid's Fishing Derby and I said I would help spread the news. How could I not want to help this group who is doing so much?
Location: Bayley's Camping Resort - Ross Road Scarborough, ME, 04074 Date: Saturday - May 6, 2017 - 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM (Rain Date: 5/13/17)
This is their largest fundraising event with all proceeds going back into our community. .