Thanksgiving AT the Macy’s Day Parade in NYC!
Me, Jen and 3 little kids fought gridlock and the cold and saw the Macy’s Day Parade up close! Real close since those balloons were flying low!
Some people said we were crazy. And yes, if you prefer to watch from your warm living room with a bathroom near by that you know is relatively clean…or at least dirty with dirty you know – then yes, don’t go. But if you want an experience like no other, and not even close to what’s on TV, then head down to the Macy’s Day Parade in person. We weren’t even sure if there would be balloons, since they made the call on Thanksgiving morning to fly or not fly the balloons due to wind. They flew them…just realllly low. So low that Toothless (from ‘How to Train Your Dragon’) had to have his foot held!
But having the floats so low, did make them seem very, very close! Snoopy up real close!
There were also the icons of the Macy Day Parade. Like Spider Man…
Can you see the rip in his left arm? He was a wounded Spidey! And of course, an oldie but a goodie is also Papa Smurf. Not sure if you can tell from this picture, but he needed a bath!
So now I feel like a veteran of the Macy’s Day Parade. So here are a couple of do’s and don’ts (at least from my experience)
- DO stay in the city
- DON’T stay in New Jersey. If you do stay in NJ, add two extra hours of travel for the traffic. And we thought we were being so smart!
- DO dress warm
- DON’T mind people right on your tail
- DO be impressed that Jimmy Fallon was at the parade soooo close
- DON’T be impressed that Richard Simmons was also just as close…if not closer!
- DO enjoy the band ‘Florida Georgia Line’
- DON’T be sad that the ‘Florida Georgia Line’ didn’t play. Because of all the miles of parade route, you actually picked (by accident) the “quiet zone” where no bands were allowed to play. I am NOT making that up.
- DO love the minions!
- DON’T expect them to answer you when you scream “Kevin! Over here! Kevin!”
- DO get very excited that Santa is coming!!
- DON’T start asking “When’s Santa coming?!” an hour before he gets there.
Here’s the bottom line. If you don’t mind waiting around for hours in the cold, and can hold your pee like a champion – go! But if you are not looking for an adventure, nothing beats the couch. Would I do it again? Absolutely…but not next year. hehehehehe