5 Things To Do In Maine In September That Will Make You Happy It’s Almost Autumn
Summer may be winding down, but here are some things to look forward to doing in Maine, this month…
(1) See Fall foliage: It's the best time of the year to get out of the mainstream, and take a long drive to a park, the mountains, or one of Maine's many forests. The Pine Tree State is full of trees, after all. Travel and Leisure lists some of the best places to go: Rangeley, Monhegan Island, Kennebunkport and Rockwood are all destinations for autumn foliage.
(2) Explore lighthouses: Maine's annual "Open Lighthouse Day" is Saturday, September 14th. This is a super popular event, so get to your favorite lighthouse early.
(3) Get your family/friends to together to go apple picking: There are plenty of orchards in Maine. You'll have fun while you breath in fresh air and get some exercise. Plus, you'll go home with plenty of fresh fruit to eat and cook with.
(4) It's fair season: So much fun and good food to be had… And soooo many fairs… so little time. There's the Oxford County Fair which starts September 11th; the Farmington Fair on the 15th; the Cumberland Fair which begins on September 22nd; and the Fryeburg Fair which starts on September 29th.
(5) Take a haunted history tour: USA Today raves about the tours in Bar Harbor, Bath, Camden, and Hallowell.