I guess it was bound to happen. For two years since the pandemic began, I hadn't had so much as a sniffle. These two years were the longest I'd ever gone without even a minor cold. But the streak was broken at 1 a.m. today when I tested positive for COVID.

I'm the President of the New England Pinball League, a pinball competition over most of the New England States. Players meet at 23 different locations throughout New England and compete against over 250 other players for the best scores over eight weeks in the hope to make it to the NEPL finals which will be at Arcadia in Portland.

I went to one of those locations on Monday to help out and say hi to friends. I found out the next day that one of those people had tested positive for COVID. Super nice guy that I shook hands with and chatted with for a little while. He of course had no idea he had it at that point. No one really does until symptoms show up and by then, it's too late.

So when I got this news on Wednesday I grabbed one of the test kits that we got for free in the mail. Let me say this about that. The instructions of this are kind of vague and some of the parts of the test didn't look much like what was in the diagrams, but I worked my way through it.

Two swabs up the nose, dip the swab into the tube with the testing solution, and sit back and wait 20 minutes for the results. The test came back negative. I let both Lori and Brittany know about the situation and that I had tested positive and they seemed cool with me coming in. Well that changed quickly.

I woke up at 1 this morning with a slight cough, slight sore throat, stuffy nose, headache and body aches. Great. Back I go to grab another test, and this time, I got different results.

Jeff Parsons
Jeff Parsons

I got a T line, which means I've got COVID.

So I'm now isolating for 5 days per the CDC guidelines:

If you test positive, you should isolate for at least 5 days from the date of your positive test (if you do not have symptoms). If you do develop COVID-19 symptoms, isolate for at least 5 days from the date your symptoms began (the date the symptoms started is day 0). Follow recommendations in the isolation section below.

So I'm out until at least Monday depending on where the symptoms go. Luckily I have had both doses of the Moderna vaccine plus the booster. I'm eligible for another booster now which I'll be going to get as soon as I can.

You'll still hear me on the Q Morning Show during this as long as I don't feel too sick, but I'll be in my basement instead of the studio. In fact, I may just live down here until it's over.

You Know You’re NOT from Southern Maine When…

These Restaurants in Maine Have The Best Signature Mocktails

More From Q97.9