Cumberland Fire Department Warns About Vents in the Winter
Another storm is hitting Maine Wednesday night into Thursday morning which has the potential to bring several inches of snow. The Cumberland Fire Department wants to remind everyone where you put that snow is very important. Whether your get your snow plowed or you're shoveling it by hand, be aware of where furnace vents and gas meters are.
In a post two weeks ago when Maine got it's biggest storm this season, The Cumberland Fire Department posted this reminder that blocking these vents with snow can be dangerous. They point out that covering up your meter or vent can cause carbon monoxide to build up inside your house, which we all know can be deadly since you might not even know it's there without a detector. It's also a good idea to make sure your dryer vent is free of snow as well.
As more and more snow piles up it can be hard to find a place for it all, but just make sure no matter where you put it and no matter where it falls, be sure all your vents are clear.