Is It Christmas Yet? The Monument Square Tree Lighting Is Close!
Last week, we learned that those who decorate early for Christmas are actually happier than those who don't, to everyone's surprise. We thought y'all were just crazy. The city of Portland must be jumping on the bandwagon of early decorators, having put up their holiday lights a couple weeks before Thanksgiving.
However, they're holding off on the big event - the Monument Square Tree Lighting - until the day after Thanksgiving. As you recover from a day of turkey, football, and awkward family interactions, bundle up in your winter best and make your way to downtown Portland! Among the sights and sounds of the holiday season in the city, you'll find:
– Meteorologist Sarah Long of WMTW-TV
– Maine Academy of Modern Music
– Rick Charette & The Bubblegum Band
– Make-A-Wish Maine
– Free Samples of Hood Eggnog
– Free Horse & Wagon Rides thanks to People's United Bank
– Warming Hut at Portland Public Library: Drop in for hot cocoa and cookies donated by Renys
After the lighting of the tree, take a stroll along city streets and feast your eyes on Pandora's festive light displays lighting up Portland, building by building.