Our 20th Year of Cans for a Cure and How You Can Be Involved!
20 years! Wow does time fly!
Cans for a Cure 2022 is ON! I cannot believe we are raising money for the 20th year in a row. There are people who will donate this year that first donated as middle schoolers and now have kids of their own. That blows my mind.
We will be set up at the Jordan's Furniture Broadcast Center at the Maine Mall! Our usual corner with a tent, thanks to our forever friends at One Stop Event Rentals. This is our 20th year of raising money to fight breast cancer here in Maine. All the money raised will go to the Maine Cancer Foundation. They are dedicated to reducing cancer incidence and mortality rates in Maine. 100% of the funds raised are invested back into the communities to benefit the people of Maine. It's a huge undertaking that, well, has taken on a life of its own over the years.
Yes - the boys, Bryce and Riley have been in collecting bottles and cans all year long. It is by far THE most exciting part of Cans when we get the total that these two young men have been able to accomplish with the help of their community. Here they are two years ago. Bryce and Riley started helping when they were 3 and 1. They are now 16 and 14 years old! Their passion has only grown more and more to help those fighting this terrible disease. Last year they collected in cash and recyclables - $17,000!!!
How can YOU help? Well, there are many, many ways:
- Come on down to the Maine Mall with your bottles and cans starting 6 am Wednesday, October 12th - Friday, October 14th (10 am). We are right under the giant Jordan's Furniture sign on the corner near Hannaford, Dunkin, and across the street from Panera Bread in South Portland.
- You can DONATE right now! Why wait? Why even bother with those pesky bottles and cans? The Maine Cancer Foundation has made it super easy for ya!
- Get on the Can Van Route! Toooot tooot! Bill Dodge Autogroup has once again given us the big ol' Can Van and I'll be tooling around all of Maine! Got some bottles and cans but just can't make it to the Mall? Email me at: email@example.com
- Get your motorcycle tuned up for the 4th annual Bikers for Boobies coming up Saturday, October 1!
- Shift funds from your CLYNK account! Why touch bottles and cans twice? If you've got some funds in your Clynk account - you have a couple of options on how you can help that way!
Mostly, we just want to thank everyone for what they do to help their fellow Mainer. Mainers have big hearts. They may not have big paychecks - but they always find a way to help. Thank you.
And thank you to all of our partners and sponsors that make this such a fun and successful fundraiser!
- GoNetSpeed/Otelco - They provide us with phone and internet access
- One Stop Event Rentals - We'd be in the rain without them
- Bill Dodge Autogroup - The Can Van! Couldn't do it without their support
- Camping Word - We have a place to call home while raising money!!
- New England Cancer Specialist - They sponsor us every year and for that we are grateful
- MedCOR Professionals - Sponsoring the noon hour on our first day!
- Oxford Casino Hotel and Event Center - They are not just a financial help - they also help us with ideas to make this event as big as it has become.
- Clynk - There's no Cans for a Cure without turning them into nickels!
- Maine Mall - Sure would be hard to do this without their generosity. Actually, it would be impossible to do this.
- Dunkin - they give us fun $5 cards to hand out
- Pine Tree Waste (formerly Blow Brothers) - This goes without saying how vital these services are. Thank you so much!
Okay, ladies and gentlemen - start collecting those bottles and cans!
READ MORE: Here are 50 ways you can improve your work from home lifestyle