Child Dies of Flu in Maine; First Child Flu Death in the State in 3 Years
Sadly, the child was not vaccinated according to the Maine CDC.
WMTW reports that the Maine Centers for Disease Control reported that the child died in Washington County. They learned of the death on Monday, but no other information about the child was released.
The Mainne CDC is urging people to get help immediately if a child has any of these flu symptoms:
- Difficulty or changes in breathing
- Bluish lips or face
- Chest pain
- Dehydration (no urine for 8 hours, dry mouth, no tears when crying)
- Not alert or interacting when awake
- Fever above 104°F
- Fever or cough that improve but then return or worsen
- Worsening of chronic medical conditions
It's been another tough year for the flu in Maine with 39 adults dying and more than 900 needing to be hospitalized.
I cannot imagine how awful this is for the family. It seems like a common ailment, but please do take the flu seriously. And speak to your doctor about vaccinations...