Eating Weird Food to Bring in the New Year is a Tradition. What We Served Up This Year!
Every year we ring in the new year by eating weird unusual food. My parents did this when I was a kid, and well...I've kicked it up a notch. Check out what we served!
Some of these items aren't that weird, but for the kids - they are. Most foods are met with a loud, 'THAT'S DISGUSTING!' In some cases...they were right! So, here's what was on the menu:
- STAR FRUIT: Not that weird and very yummy, but unusual. We have this every year because I know they will eat them.
- DRIED MANGO: I'm not a huge fan of mango, but it was very pretty and I thought, what the hell. Ya know, it's kinda tasty. Very sugary. The kids hated it.
- BROWN BREAD: You know, the kind that goes with baked beans. The kids had never had it. They hated it.
- RICE CRACKERS: Black sesame and soy sauce. I thought they were super yummy. Jen too. The kids hated it.
- CIRCUS PEANUTS: Jen picked these up. Weird indeed. We all hated them.
- NAN: Indian bread with butter melted on it. I love nan and all Indian food. One out of 3 kids loved it. The other two refused to try it.
- CRAB CAKES: Not all that unusual, unless you are 7 then it's, 'disgusting!'. Adults gobbled it up, children refused to try them.
- TARTER SAUCE: For the crab cakes.
- QUORN: This was my favorite weird food! Quorn is mycoprotein ('myco' is Greek for 'fungi'!). It is completely meatless and soy-free. I bought Quorn Chik'n Nuggets. I love them and think they taste incredibly just like real chicken nuggets! One boy was okay with it, one boy refused and the 10 year old said it's, 'disgusting!'.
- BEEF EMPANADAS: I traveled the world and this stop was Spain. I love these things. The kids hated it.
- VIENNA SAUSAGES: Yup. Right out of the can. I have NEVER had these and I was most afraid to eat this. It tasted like a super mushy hot dog. I am not a fan. Everyone else refused to try them. I don't blame them.
- MARINATED ARTICHOKE HEARTS: I tried to convince them that they tasted like pickles. No one bought it and they all hated them.
- PEPPERONI PANINO: That's just a fancy over priced way of saying mozzarella cheese wrapped in pepperoni. It looked kinda yummy and fancy. It got a lukewarm reception.
- POMEGRANATE SEEDS: Not that weird, but unusual. One kid LOVED them, two refused. I tried to convince them that they would love, love, love it. That did not work.
- BISCUIT STIX: These are weird little snacks from Korea. I'm not sure why, but if you buy crackers, or chips or something in the 'international' aisle - they all smell like some sort of fish sauce is used. Two kids hated them, one kid wants them as his snack for school!
- MOXIE: Yes, weird and unusual. Two kids (and two grown ups) hated it. One kid (the Biscuit Stix lover) loved it!
- BLACK-EYED PEAS: These are a must. We don't care if you love or hate them, they are for good luck and must be eaten at the stroke of midnight.
- CREOLE CRAWFISH: Okay, I must say..I had no idea about this one. I bought them because they looked weird. I was the only one who tried them. Hated it. I don't think I made it right. Plus...I really wasn't sure what to eat!
- TINY FORKS: Weird food is even weirder when you use itty bitty forks.
That's how we ring in the new year. I heard the word 'disgusting!' so much, I sworer I was living with tiny Donald Trumps!
DO YOU HAVE ANY TRADITIONS TO RING IN THE NEW YEAR?