Livermore Falls, Maine Home Saved After Dryer Fire Reminds Us All Of What We Should Do Yearly
A home in Livermore Falls was saved after a fire broke out in a dryer, thanks to the quick actions of the Livermore Falls Fire department. It's a good reminder of a simple thing you should do each year.
The fire happened on Meadowbrook Road and disaster was averted with the quick action of the fire department. The cause of the fire was not mentioned in the Livermore Falls Fire Department's Facebook post, but you can see that the majority of the damage was contained to the dryer itself.
According to a Today article, the National Fire Protection Agency says that more than 15,000 dryer fires occurred in the U.S. in 2010. What's the most common cause of dryer fires? Lint.
Of course, you know lint builds up in your filter, but it also collects in your dryer vent. The hose that leads from the back of your dryer to the outside vent can become filled with lint and the heat from the dryer can ignite the lint causing a fire.
It's recommended that you inspect and clean your dryer vent once a year. There are kits you can buy at hardware stores that include a flexible brush and wand that you can snake through your dryer hose to remove the lint and it doesn't take that long to do so.
So if you haven't checked your dryer vent and hose, now's a good time before we get too much more snow.
Maine's 16 Counties Ranked By How Much Money People Make
The Best Mullets in Maine
LOOK: Things from the year you were born that don't exist anymore