Important Info for Mainers: How to Get Your Stimulus Check Quickly and How Much
According to NBC News, the most important thing you can do to receive a speedy stimulus check from the U.S. Government is to make sure that your taxes are up to date.
Here's what you need to know, per the news article:
- The stimulus checks will be distributed through the I.R.S. and they'll be using our 2019 taxpayer forms to determine how much money we get. If you haven't filed for 2019 yet, the I.R.S. will use your 2018 information.
- If you haven't filed for either year, don't panic. The I.R.S. has two different FREE filing options; one for those making under $69,000 and one for those making more than that. Check out IRS.gov to find them.
- The stimulus checks cap off at $99,000. Millionaires won't get a slice of the pie.
- The IRS has set up a special page regarding coronavirus information and it will update as more information becomes available.
- Sign up for direct deposit with the IRS to get your check faster. Just indicate that on your tax form. Double check your bank account and routing numbers.
- If you've moved since you last filed your taxes and you are expecting a paper check, then submit a change of address form. This stretches the process out another four to six weeks usually, so do it right now.
Here's how much money we can expect to get:
- $1,200 for individuals making up to $75,000 a year, plus an extra $500 per child. That would be $3,400 for a married couple with two children.
- Payments will progressively decrease for those making over $75,000.
The really good news is that most Americans won't have to do a thing to receive their stimulus checks. If you've filed for 2018 and 2019 and your information is up to date and accurate, no action is needed on your part.
Again, if you haven't filed for 2019, the IRS will use your 2018 return to determine your payment.
I didn't get the chance to meet with our tax people to do ours before the virus hit and I know I'm not alone.
What are you going to do with your stimulus check? Comment on our Fan Page.