The Idea in This Viral Post Should Definitely Be Adopted Into Maine Bars
By now, unfortunately, we've all heard the story about what happened to two women in the Old Port last week.
Women Drugged at Old Port Bar
The bar won't be named here since that's not what this article is about (but if you search around enough, you can find out which bar this happened at), but last week two women claimed to be drugged while in the Old Port.
According to CBS 13, it happened to the two women separately but at the same Old Port bar. One of the women actually told News Center MAINE that she "went from feeling totally sober to feeling like [she'd] drank more than [she'd] ever drank in [her] life all at once."
Viral Bar Behavior Meme
With the recent Old Port incident in mind (and some killer timing from the universe), a meme posted to the Nugget account on Instagram has gone viral that was created around a post found on Reddit that involves catching some creepy dude slipping something into a girl's drink.
The Reddit post highlights a customer approaching a bartender (while a live band was performing at this bar, by the way) and mentioning they witnessed "that guy right there put something in that girl's drink."
What follows is something that every single Maine bar (and actually, every single bar in the world) should make part of their customer safety process. Because immediately, the manager of the bar stepped on stage, stopped the band, hopped on the microphone, and mentioned that there were reports of someone compromising drinks and that every woman should put their drink down and not take another sip.
The manager went on to offer every woman a free drink to replace the one they currently had and encouraged all women to notify bar staff if they felt weak or sick. For an hour after, the lights remained on and the band remained off-stage.
Generally, when someone goes from feeling fine to barely being able to stand, there is in fact the chance they've been slipped something without realizing it. According to the DEA, roofies (or its professional name, Rohypnol), cause someone who takes it (knowingly or not) to experience drowsiness/sleepiness, decreased anxiety, and the scariest side effect -- amnesia.
The DEA also says roofies will cause slurred speech, loss of motor coordination, weakness, headache, and respiratory depression.
Unfortunately, this probably happens more often than we realize. But if we all look out for each other (both as customers and bar management) like the situation above, our sisters, wives, girlfriends, cousins, mothers, and every other important woman in our lives may feel a bit safer for a change.